I wasn’t able to participate on Wednesday Twitter chat but it made me think that I should see what still needs to be done on the blog to make it awesome.
What You Should Have
an About Me page- although I have one of these, it hasn’t been updated in quite a bit so I should get on that. review policy rating scale– I do have one (in my head ) but I should put it on the blog so that others can see it. contact page- it is on the About Me page for the mean time. currently reading– I have that on the side bar
- search bar- That’s a no brainer. Everyone should have this one.
- social media follow me icons – yep have those
- subscribe options -
recent posts– yep have these as well.
What NOT to Have
- moving images -
- countdown widgets
too many ads– I don’t have too many but it depends on who you ask. Maybe down the road I will remove some of them.
- videos automatically playing music
pop ups– I hate these so of course I won’t have these on my own site.
- too many images links/images for every community you belong to!
What should an About Me page include? - I have some of these but I know that it needs an overhaul and stat.
- your personality who are you?
- what do you do outside of reading?
- what are your hobbies?
- what’s your bloggy background?
- some pictures would be fun!
- what makes you unique?
- what type of books do you like to read?
What makes a blog look nice and readable?
- no colored type (or very little)
- breaks in text
- lots of white space- don’t have that but I don’t like too much while space.
- light backgrounds
no script fonts- a lot of times I want to read someone’s blog and I can’t because of the font that they chose. It is either really hard to read or impossible so I just end up leaving.
Sidebars and Menus
- maybe just have one sidebar with minimal content – I have one sidebar but it def has enough content.
- three column layouts are out! – no worries there
- maybe you can get away with no sidebars? – I don’t know if I could. A lot of times there are themes that come with at least one and I don’t know coding well enough to create one without it.
- Maybe have stuff in a footer? – Have some but not a lot
- drop down menus are nice, but no more than 5 to 7 links only have one row of tabs – Don’t have those.
- Size? Any bigger then 700 px for your blog content area is too hard to read.
- Headers should be small, not take up the whole front page and should be no bigger than 350px.